Saturday 5 November 2016

Homemade Sausages - Bangers For Bonfire Night

Sausages and burgers are always a popular choice for Bonfire Night celebrations. They are easy to eat outside while watching fireworks or standing around a bonfire. I've never made my own sausages before but I was intrigued by the idea of lowering the calories and coming up with my own recipe. This is easier to make if you have a sausage machine but you can stuff the skins by hand although it is a little fiddly.

Ingredients
200g pork sausagemeat
sausage skins
1 tbsp garlic granules
1 tbsp chives
2 tbsp tomato purée

Method
1. Combine the sausagemeat, garlic,  chives and tomato purée in a small bowl. This needs to be done really thoroughly.
2. Prepare the sausage skins accordingly to the packet instructions.
3. If you are stuffing the skins by hand the I found it easiest to use my fingers, stuff in a small amount of the mixture at a time and then push it through the skins to the end. Be careful not to let any air bubbles stay inside the skin.
4. Once the sausage skin is full, you can carefully twist them to create separate sausages



5. It's advisible to carefully pierce the sausages in a couple of places before cooking to stop the skins from splitting.
6. Grill under a medium heat for about 12 minutes, turning regularly.
7. Serve in a long roll.




The recipe makes 3 sausages which are 168 calories each. The tomato purée in the recipe makes the sausages quite moist so you don't need to add any additional sauces.




I bought my sausage skins in Lakeland but I know they are also available on Amazon.

These were really tasty.  I've got sone great ideas for more sausages including some vegetarian versions so I might have to put a sausage machine on my Christmas list.

Speak to you soon




Love Erica xxx





SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Fitter.Thinner.Happier | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig